Tuesday, October 01, 2002

British Telecom Internet Service Provider Statement:

Since the launch of fully unmetered access during 2000, a small percentage of our customers have continued to use a disproportionate amount of network infrastructure. This either reduces the quality of access experienced by all our customers or threatens to force an increase in price. We believe that the fairest approach for all is to provide a limit suitable for the vast majority of customers. This will ensure a consistently excellent service.


Two issues here.

Firstly, the term "consistently excellent service" is quite possibly the biggest lie since George Bush said that he was only acting in the interest of World Peace. BT Internet, as the fact that I have been thrown off-line four times in the last five minutes and will no doubt be evicted at least twice more before this posting is completed illustrates, are the biggest pile of quangoed gwak I've ever had the misfortune to subscribe to (with the exception of the now happily defunct Libertysurf.co.uk).


Secondly, when a person subscribes to a particular service or product, using it within the specified parameters does not constitute abuse and/or disproportionate usage. If I bought a pair of boots I wouldn't expect the shopkeeper to stop me in the street the following day, tell me to take them off and make me walk home in my socks because I was wearing the soles out. BT advertise their product on the television as 'Unlimited, Unmetered Access'. A quick message to BT Internet...there isn't a single court in Europe (regardless of how many masonic handshakes you can pull off you monopolising b*stards) that would uphold your stinking decision to reduce the amount of time I can spend on the net to 3 hours a night. Especially not when you consider that your disgusting, third-rate little internet service throws me off-line every three minutes and runs at about the same speed as John Prescott uphill. I shall see you in court you whore-mongering monopoly. In the meantime, if I vanish from the web at any point in the not too distant future it'll only be for the duration of me switching to an ISP that isn't 6 million pounds in debt because it's bosses are greedy and incompetant!