Tuesday, August 12, 2003

How freeze one of your Balls off in a heatwave.

"Britain's heatwave, which has claimed dozens of sunburn and heat exhaustion victims, has now produced its first case of frostbite.

A motorist was diagnosed with the condition after driving with his toes too close to the air conditioning vent on the 400 kilometre journey from London to Manchester.

One of his toes started to turn black and another went blue.

"It was incredibly hot," Mike Ball, 46, told the Guardian newspaper. "I slipped off my shoe and sock because my car is an automatic and I don't need to use my left foot. I didn't realise anything was wrong until the next day when my foot was extremely painful."

Mr Ball went to his doctor and was prescribed a cure for mild frostbite. He is expected to make a full recovery."


Which is more than can be said for the Guardian editor who thought the story was worth running.