Thursday, April 10, 2003


They just can't help themselves can they?

There is going to be a lot of this sort of crap floating up out of the right wing sewers in the days ahead.


"I just want to say, if you're reading this and you supported the anti-war movement, then all of the joy, the freedom, the liberation of political prisoners and torture victims, none of this is in your name. Don't forget in a few years, and start talking about how "we" liberated Iraq. It had nothing to do with you, it was done in spite of you and everything that you said."

And this.

"I think what we are doing in Iraqi is such an amazing duty. We are giving freedom to people who have been so oppressed for to long. Unfortunately, some people of the United States are not only ignorant but do not want to share the freedom we have always had. One day the world will look back at this mission and be proud you were apart of a country who liberated these people and gave them a new reason to live."

And more.

"I SHOULDN'T be so happy. After all, I'm a right-wing deathbeast, and the end (or near end) of a war should upset me, because we conservatives lust for war all the time. Except when we have to fight it ourselves, of course. Being chickenhawks and all.

And the toppling of a fascist dictator should have me all weepy and nostalgic for Hitler. Because I'm a fascist, according to much of the mail I receive.

Those Iraqis dancing in the streets? That should really piss me off, because I want to oppress them and steal their oil. Why are they even able to dance? I was promised 500,000 murders, yet thus far only 1,000 or so innocents have died.

So why am I so damn happy? I really can't explain.

I'd go and ask some oppression-hating anti-fascist peace activists about it, but for some reason they're all incredibly depressed." TIM BLAIR.


"Only 1,000 or so innocents have died" ... no doubt as counted by the good old Florida Electoral Commission that served up GWB to a grateful world. Let's wait for an accurate body count before we join Mr. Blair (Blairs of a feather stick together) in celebrating the *insignificant* number of innocent lives lost. In the unlikely event that it is only "1000 or so", those grieving for those 1000 lost might view Mr. Blair's equanimity as a smidge tasteless. "Ends justify the means" is certainly having its 20 minutes of fame.

I'm sure there is jubilation at the toppling of Saddam ... from the deep recesses of the Pentagon to the shell shocked streets of Baghdad. Some of it genuine and heartfelt. Some of it pragmatic. Some of it self serving ... self preserving.

If members of my family had been tortured and murdered I would dance on Saddam's political grave. If I was being watched by liberators in tanks and armed to the gunwhales (much like my former oppressors were) I might be moved to give them what they expected. If I were a Saddam fan bent on survival I would want to be one of the first captured on news footage banging a shoe into a fallen bust.

If I was against this war ... I would have no need to apologise ... I would have no reason feel shame ... I would have no need to feel chastened ... I would have no need to feel defeated ... I do feel that there are still many tears to be had before bedtime.


Editor's note: As a one time anti-war protester...now converted to a jubilant, pro-Bush Iraqi liberator...I am deeply ashamed of my previous stance. I realise that I was wrong...that the few thousand people celebrating on the streets of Baghdad yesterday (a city with a population of five million...most of whom were too scared to step outside) more than made up for the thousands killed (and still to be killed) in the conflict. Fuck 'em. They're dead. The smile on a looter's face as he pillages the local hospital or the Baghdad University more than makes up for the stupid limb-losing children or the devastated families or the fracturing of the Middle East. I was a fool and shall now leave quietly to live a life as a right-wing, Coke drinking extremist. Amen.